I’m Dan Regtien, founder of ReconAg.
After studying agricultural science and ecology concurrently, I spent most of my career as a field-based livestock improvement consultant before switching to land management advisor for local government for 18 months. In late 2020, my family and I embarked on a mission to connect all of the things we have learned (and unlearned) for the purpose of building better outcomes for farmers and food-producers in the region we call home. ReconAg Ltd was born.
My background includes:
- Environmental management
- Greenhouse Gas Workshop -NZIPIM
- Advanced Sustainable Nutrient Management -Massey University
- Geographic information systems (GIS) mapping
- Land Resource Inventory course with Garth Eyles.
- Practical farming
- Experience on sheep, beef, deer and arable farms.
- Taranaki Dairy Trainee of the Year 2013 (after 3 years fulltime).
- Genetics and taxonomy
- First class endorsed Lincoln University Honours project on dairy cattle breeding.
- Extensive experience identifying grassland and forest species in Canterbury.
- I am also a very enthusiastic and experienced consumer of good local food!
At ReconAg, it’s all about reconnecting people to ecology. We create flexible, energetic and enjoyable solutions that continue to evolve over time.
The main principles we run on are:
- Using advanced mapping techniques to record and explore farm data can improve awareness of natural ecosystem functions, thereby leading to wise farm policies that work with nature.
- Actively managing soil health increases the resilience of everything.
- More connection with your specific agro-ecosystem = more knowledge.