I’m Dan Regtien, founder of ReconAg.
After studying agricultural science and ecology simultaneously, I spent most of my career as a field-based livestock improvement consultant before switching to land management advisor for local government. In late 2020, I embarked on a mission to connect all of the things I had learned (and unlearned) for the purpose of building better outcomes for farmers, food-producers, citizens and ecosystems in the places we call home. ReconAg Ltd was born to be a vessel of reconnection.
My background includes:
- Environmental management
- Greenhouse Gas Workshop -NZIPIM
- Advanced Sustainable Nutrient Management -Massey University
- Geographic information systems (GIS) mapping
- Land Resource Inventory course with Garth Eyles.
- Practical farming
- Experience on sheep, beef, deer and arable farms.
- Taranaki Dairy Trainee of the Year 2013 (after 3 years fulltime).
- Genetics and taxonomy
- Lincoln University Honours project on dairy cattle genetics as part of my B.AgrSci (1st Hons).
- Extensive experience identifying grassland and forest species in Canterbury.
- I am also a very enthusiastic and experienced consumer of good local food!
At ReconAg, it’s all about reconnecting people to ecology. We create flexible, energetic and enjoyable solutions that continue to evolve over time.
The main principles we run on are:
- Using advanced mapping techniques to record and explore farm data can improve awareness of natural ecosystem functions, thereby leading to wise farm policies that work with nature.
- Actively managing soil health increases the resilience of everything.
- More connection with your specific agro-ecosystem = more knowledge.